Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Judge

From the corner of my eye stands a man. He's watching me without expression. I dare not turn my head, yet in that second my heart grows cold. He's watching. If I acknowledge him, will he vanish? Will he turn out to be a figment of my imagination? Or will the phantasm greet me with a scowl?

I've seen him before. From the edges of my periphery. He's a judge. Brooding, waiting for me. Waiting for me to fail. I can not plead innocence because I have none. I can not plead ignorance because I am not. My fate I await out of the corner of my eye.

Why does he not move? Why does he not stand, this man who sits in his chair and judges me. Is he a righteous angel come to strike me down for my sins or an agent from the netherworld who wants to see me in all my wickedness? I have done things of vile repute in my life. I have cursed those who deserve not and hurts those that I loved. Is this the long wait before my execution?

And yet I stand watching him from the corner of my eye like a frightened rabbit. I could plead forgiveness to God almighty. I could grovel for my life. Is there forgiveness for one such as I? A murderer, an adulterer, a fornicator, a liar, a deceiver, the son of perdition that I am? I drop to my knees and close my eyes to pray. I could feel death’s scythe closing over my neck.

I mumble a prayer of forgiveness. Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy. Amen. I open my eyes and look.

Only my coat is draped over the chair in the form of a man.

I have an appointment in an hour. 

Repentance can wait a little while longer.

No comments: