Wednesday, July 28, 2010

From a writing exercise

It's been two months since I moved here and as I look out from my upstairs windows, I can't help but notice the little dust building up in the corner of the pane. It shouldn't be there. I should walk downstairs and grab a paper towel and glass cleaner, but I don't. I don't have the energy anymore.

Outside the neighborhood is desolate. The multi-hundred dollar swing sets lay dormant, but the grass is cut. The BBQ grills all look new. It's the suburban wonderland and it is only missing people. Are all of the kids off to after school programs? I see the occasional jogger in the mornings, but where are they the rest of the time? Are they like me? Do they lock themselves around the TV when they are away from work?

Is there a chance for a man like me to change things for the better? Is there anything more than avoiding the next layoff? I turn back towards my computer. The dust is still in the corner of the window and I think about how I still don't have the energy to clean it. My sadness deepens. If only.

No comments: